Friday, April 9, 2010

Hold Your Breath

After a ten-month writer's block, I revisited this chorus I wrote in 2009 to see if I could finish it. I started out envisioning an inspirational song, with the singer just giving a pep talk to a forlorn friend. As I went back to write verses, I realized a way to change it up a little: don't just have the singer be a friend, but a longing love interest. Changing the direction of the song in the last few moments is a trick I love, and have utilized in other songs like "One More Day". I'm happy with how the song turned out.
(Chorus written June 22, 2009, verses written April 9, 2010)

Life is going on all around us.
Goodness and happiness have found us.
And there you are again.
Sitting in the corner all alone.
It breaks my heart to see it.

It's your life.
Please don't let it pass you by.
There's the sun.
See it rising in the sky.
It's time for you to try.

Chorus:
Hold your breath.
Say a prayer
that your lucky day
is really waiting there.
Greet the day.
Say Hello.
How to stand strong
is all you really need to know.
Stand up tall.
Close your eyes.
The feeling never dies,
It's waiting there for you.
Maybe there's someone waiting too.

Promise me
That today will be the day.
Promise me
That you'll throw your fears away.
It's the only way.

(Repeat chorus)

And at sundown,
What a sight.
Go into the night.
It's all that's left to do.
I'll be waiting there for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment